These space buns are like upgraded pigtails.
I’m loving the double top knot hairstyle these days. It’s especially nice when your hair is dirty and you can’t figure out what else to do with it. Not only does your dirty hair keep the style in place better, but it actually becomes less noticeable in this updo. When I go out wearing space buns, I get a lot of questions on how exactly I achieve the look. So I decided to make a space buns hairstyle tutorial to answer all your burning questions.
I see a lot of people out there rocking super neat, tightly wound buns. And while that is good for some occasions, I usually go for something a little more messy. That’s why in this tutorial you’ll learn how to make bigger, looser top knots that are swoon-worthy.
What You Need
• Bobby pins: I only need 2 to create this look. But if your hair is thicker and heavier you might need a few more.
• Hair ties: You’ll need 1 for each bun for a total of 2.
• Parting comb/brush: I just used the back of my hair dye brush. If you don’t have a parting comb, try a lead pencil (with the lead retracted).
• Teasing brush: My brush is specifically for teasing, but you can pretty much use any brush to get the job done.
• Hair spray (optional): I love finishing pretty much any look with a good thick coating of hair spray. It helps hold everything in place for all day wear.
1. Part your hair down the middle. Using your parting comb, drag in a straight line from your forehead down to the nape of your neck and separate your hair into 2 sections.
2. Bring up the right section of your hair and secure it in a high ponytail. While you’re at it, pull out a few long pieces to frame your face. I chose to release one piece near my part and one piece near my temple.
3. Repeat with the left section of your hair. Try to make the 2 ponies at an equal height so your space buns aren’t lopsided.
4. Lift up your right pony and tease your hair. Make it nice and messy. This is going to help your space buns look full and beautiful.
5. Repeat with your left pony. You probably look ridiculous now. But that’s all about to change.
6. Twist your left pony away from your face. Don’t twist too tight–we want our space buns to be loose.
7. Wrap the twisted pony around its hair tie. Wrap around the front of your head first and then the back.
8. Pin the tail under the bun. When you get to the very end of wrapping your ponytail, tuck the tail in with a bobby pin. Try to completely conceal the bobby pin under your bun.
9. Gently pull apart on opposite sides of the bun. Don’t worry if any little stray hairs fall out. It will only add to the loose, messy bun look we’re going for.
10. Repeat the above steps to your left pony.
11. Grab your favorite hair spray and give your hair a good spritz. I focused my hair spray on the space buns to help them stay put. But I also gave my entire head a few sprays for good measure.
You’re done! That’s my kind of hairdo–one that is super easy and super cute. I’m obsessed. Now go hit the town with your new space buns!