Velvet adds the perfect fabric contrast to any outfit.
My Velvet Camisole Look
The ’90s are cool again. Everything from chokers and crop tops to overalls are quickly gaining in popularity. And now there’s another hot item this season that is channeling the past–anything and everything velvet.
Anyone who knows me knows I love a good contrasting palette, whether that’s in the form of color or fabric–or both! And this velvet camisole I bought does just that. I love how it catches the light all while adding texture to my outfit. Plus it’s in my current favorite color obsession: blush.
One thing I learned during my time in fashion school is to not be afraid of fabric mixing. Let’s take a look. In this outfit I have suede heels, denim bottoms, a velvet camisole, and a lace bralette. That’s a grand total of 4 (very different) fabrics. While it might seem like a lot up front, it actually looks really cool and stylish.
Layering and being unafraid to mix and match fabrics will make you look confident and like the trendsetter instead of the follower. So give it a try! Wear that odd jacket in the back of your closet that you’ve been avoiding. Or pick up something new and daring at the store that you don’t feel cool enough to wear. I promise you can rock more than you give yourself credit for. The people that are the most equipped for quirky “cool” fashion are simply those who aren’t afraid to wear it. Let that be you!
Styling the Velvet Camisole
1. Forever 21 Sunglasses: Wear these for a unique twist on the traditional cat eye.
2. Forever 21 Choker: This was gifted to me, but Forever 21 has a similar one.
3. Urban Outfitters Bralette: This bralette is right on trend and can be paired with low tanks for that layered look.
4. Forever 21 Tank Top: I can’t say enough praise about this velvet camisole. It’s soft, comfy, a gorgeous color, and is an easy way to take your casual outfit up a notch.
5. Whistles Clutch: I originally got this with my HydroPeptide purchase and then realized it can double as a minimal clutch. Here is a similar one from Whistles.
6. Forever 21 Ripped Denim: Wear them with sneakers and a loose tee or go street chic and throw on a satin top and some heels.
7. Charlotte Russe Heels: These lovely heels are on sale! Snag them for only $20!