Busy morning? No problem. This quick updo has you covered.
I just dyed my hair pink again using the method in my tutorial on how to get pastel pink hair using ion color brilliance dyes so I was eager to do a hair related post. Some days getting ready is really fun, and other days it’s a serious drag. When I just don’t feel like putting in the effort, but I still want to look like I tried, I revert to my go-to hairstyle–this easy 5 minute messy updo.
1. Gather all of your hair behind. You don’t need to put it in a ponytail or anything. Just move it to the back.
2. While holding your hair back with one hand, pull a few pieces down in the front near your temples. We don’t want this to look sleek and clean. This is a tousled look!
3. Continue holding your hair back while using your other hand to flip the bottom up.
4. Start to fold the bottom of your hair down. You’ll sort of be “wrapping” your left hand.
5. Slide your left hand out and continue folding your hair in.
6. While tucking, disperse your hair to the sides. If you keep tucking your hair all in one spot, you’ll notice that you end up with a bulge. To avoid this, roll and tuck your hair under while moving it from the center to the sides of your head.
7. Keep rolling and tucking under until everything looks evenly distributed. You’re probably going to look a bit like George Washington at this point. Don’t freak out–it gets better. I promise.
8. Start putting in bobby pins. Come at your hair from above with the bobby pins. You’ll want to push them down and hide them under your tucked hair. Put a bobby pin wherever your hair feels like it’s sticking out just a little too much or like it won’t hold on it’s own. In my case I put 1 on either side of my head, and 2 in the back for a total of 4.
9. Once you’re all bobby pinned up, grab sections of your hair and pull them apart. Grab pieces at random from both underneath and on top and tug gently in the opposite direction. This is where we shift from tight George Washington rolls to soft, beautiful tousled tucks. Don’t be afraid to mess it up. Even if a few pieces fall out, it will just add to the look we’re going for.
That’s it. You’re done!
Now go rock your cute messy bun and watch the compliments roll in. No one has to know you only spent 5 minutes. You’re welcome!